Atlas investigators have an extensive bibliography of scientific articles published in peer-reviewed journals.
Click on a year to view research articles published that year.
- ICD-10 Coding Will Challenge Researchers: Caution and Collaboration may Reduce Measurement Error and Improve Comparability Over Time. Medical Care 2018 Nov 26. doi:10.1097/mlr.0000000000001010
[Epub ahead of print]
- Medical practice variation: public reporting a first necessary step to spark change. Int J Qual Health Care 2018 Apr 30. doi: 10.1093/intqhc/mzy092
[Epub ahead of print]
- Mandatory Medicare Bundled Payment Program for Lower Extremity Joint Replacement and Discharge to Institutional Postacute Care: Interim Analysis of the First Year of a 5-Year Randomized Trial. JAMA 2018 Sep 4;320(9):892-900. doi: 10.1001/jama.2018.12346.
- Validating Publicly Available Crosswalks for Translating ICD-9 to ICD-10 Diagnosis Codes for Cardiovascular Outcomes Research. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 2018 Oct;11(10):e004782. doi: 10.1161/CIRCOUTCOMES.118.004782.
- Long-Term Implications Of A Short-Term Policy: Redacting Substance Abuse Data. Health Affairs 2018 Jun;37(6):975-979.
- Can accountable care organisations really improve the English NHS? Lessons from the United States. BMJ 2018 Mar 2;360:k921.
- Health Care Employment Growth and the Future of US Cost Containment. JAMA. Published online April 16, 2018.
- Assessing Variation in Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator Therapy Guideline Adherence With Physician and Hospital Patient-sharing Networks. Med Care 2018 Apr;56(4):350-357.
- Overcoming Challenges to US Payment Reform: Could a Place-Based Approach Help?.JAMA 2018 Mar 30. [Epub ahead of print]
- Death at no cost? Persons with no health insurance claims in the last year of life in Switzerland. BMC Health Serv Res 2018 Mar 14;18(1):178.
- Behavioral Risk Factors and Regional Variation in Cardiovascular Health Care and Death. Am J Prev Med 2018 Mar;54(3):376-384.
- Association Between Medicare Expenditure Growth and Mortality Rates in Patients With Acute Myocardial Infarction: A Comparison From 1999 Through 2014. JAMA Cardiol 2018 Feb 1;3(2):114-122.
- Regional Variation of Computed Tomographic Imaging in the United States and the Risk of Nephrectomy. JAMA Intern Med 2018 Feb 1;178(2):221-227.
- Data Deficiency in an Era of Expanding Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Care. JAMA Pediatr 2018 Jan 1;172(1):11-12.
- Regional Variation in Neonatal Intensive Care Admissions and the Relationship to Bed Supply. J Pediatr 2018 Jan;192:73-79.
- Data Deficiency in an Era of Expanding Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Care. JAMA Pediatr 2017 Nov 27. [Epub ahead of print]
- Explaining Sluggish Savings under Accountable Care. N Engl J Med 2017 Nov 9;377(19):1809-1811.
- De-adoption and exnovation in the use of carotid revascularization: retrospective cohort study. BMJ 2017; 359: j4695.
- Evidence on the Validity of a Comprehensive Health Risk Index and Implications for Ambulatory Care and Population Health Management. J Ambul Care Manage 2017 Oct/Dec;40(4):297-304.
- Regional Variation in Neonatal Intensive Care Admissions and the Relationship to Bed Supply. J Pediatr 2017 Sep 29. [Epub ahead of print]
- Outcomes in Older Adults with Multimorbidity Associated with Predominant Provider of Care Specialty. J Am Geriatr Soc 2017 Sep;65(9):1916-1923.
- Caesarean sections and private insurance: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ Open 2017 Aug 21;7(8):e016600.
- A method to create a standardized generic and condition-specific patient-reported outcome measure for patient care and healthcare improvement. Qual Life Res 2017 Aug 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Prospective Identification of Patients at Risk for Unwarranted Variation in Treatment. J Palliat Med 2017 Aug 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- End-Of-Life Medical Spending In Last Twelve Months Of Life Is Lower Than Previously Reported. Health Affairs 2017 Jul 1;36(7):1211-1217.
- Income and Cancer Overdiagnosis – When Too Much Care Is Harmful. N Engl J Med 2017 Jun 8;376(23):2208-2209.
- Costs and Consequences of Early Hospital Discharge After Major Inpatient Surgery in Older Adults. JAMA Surg 2017 May 17;152(5). Epub 2017 May 17.
- Replacing the Affordable Care Act: Lessons From Behavioral Economics. JAMA 2017 May 16;317(19):1951-1952.
- Association between Temporal Changes in Primary Care Workforce and Patient Outcomes. Health Serv Res 2017 Apr;52(2):634-655.
- The relationship of regional hemoglobin A1c testing and amputation rate among patients with diabetes. Vascular 2017 Apr;25(2):142-148.
- Relationship Between Continuity of Ambulatory Care and Risk of Emergency Department Episodes Among Older Adults. Ann Emerg Med 2017 Apr;69(4):407-415.
- Moving Forward With Accountable Care Organizations: Some Answers, More Questions. JAMA Intern Med2017 Apr 1;177(4):527-528.
- Medical care epidemiology and unwarranted variation: the Israeli case. Isr J Health Policy Res2017 Feb 20;6:9.
- Caesarean sections and for-profit status of hospitals: Systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ Open 2017 Feb 17;7(2):e013670.
- Regional Variation of Cost of Care in the Last 12 Months of Life in Switzerland: Small-area Analysis Using Insurance Claims Data. Med Care 2017 Feb;55(2):155-163.
- ACOs Serving High Proportions Of Racial And Ethnic Minorities Lag In Quality Performance. Health Affairs 2017 Jan 1;36(1):57-66.
- Amputation Rates for Patients with Diabetes and Peripheral Arterial Disease: The Effects of Race and Region. Ann Vasc Surg 2016 Jan;30:292-8.
- Assessing Differences between Early and Later Adopters of Accountable Care Organizations Using Taxonomic Analysis. Health Serv Res 2016 Dec;51(6):2318-2329.
- Variation in Utilization and Need for Tympanostomy Tubes across England and New England. J Pediatr 2016 Dec;179:178-184.
- Breast cancer screening in England and the United States: a comparison of provision and utilisation. Int J Public Health 2015 Dec;60(8):881-90.
- Investigating a Multistakeholder Alliance Approach to Reducing Hospital Readmissions. J Healthc Qual 2016 Nov/Dec;38(6):396-407.
- Housing, Transportation, And Food: How ACOs Seek To Improve Population Health By Addressing Nonmedical Needs Of Patients. Health Affairs 2016 Nov 1;35(11):2109-2115.
- Patterns of Prescription Drug Use Before and After Fragility Fracture. JAMA Intern Med 2016 Oct 1;176(10):1531-1538.
- Screening Mammography Use Among Older Women Before and After the 2009 U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Recommendations. J Womens Health 2016 Oct;25(10):1030-1037
- Hemoglobin A1c Testing and Amputation Rates in Black, Hispanic, and White Medicare Patients. Ann Vasc Surg 2016 Oct;36:208-217.
- Medicare’s Bundled Payment Program for Joint Replacement: Promise and Peril?. JAMA 2016 Sep 27;316(12):1262-4.
- An analysis of patient-sharing physician networks and implantable cardioverter defibrillator therapy. Health Serv Outcomes Res Methodol 2016 Sep;16(3):132-153.
- Who Is Providing the Predominant Care for Older Adults With Dementia?.J Am Med Dir Assoc 2016 Sep 1;17(9):802-6.
- Continuity of Care and Health Care Utilization in Older Adults With Dementia in Fee-for-Service Medicare. JAMA Intern Med 2016 Sep 1;176(9):1371-8.
- Uptake of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid obesity benefit: 2012-2013. Obesity 2016 Sep;24(9):1983-8.
- Dying among older adults in Switzerland: Who dies in hospital, who dies in a nursing home?. BMC Palliat Care 2016 Sep 23;15(1):83.
- The ACO Experiment in Infancy–Looking Back and Looking Forward. JAMA 2016 Aug 16;316(7):705-6.
- Consistency of Hemoglobin A1c Testing and Cardiovascular Outcomes in Medicare Patients With Diabetes. J Am Heart Assoc 2016 Aug 10;5(8).
- Characteristics and Service Use of Medicare Beneficiaries Using Federally Qualified Health Centers. Med Care 2016 Aug;54(8):804-9.
- Association Between Medicare Accountable Care Organization Implementation and Spending Among Clinically Vulnerable Beneficiaries. JAMA Intern Med 2016 Aug 1;176(8):1167-75.
- Second fractures among older adults in the year following hip, shoulder, or wrist fracture. Osteoporos Int 2016 Jul;27(7):2207-2215.
- Identification Of Four Unique Spending Patterns Among Older Adults In The Last Year Of Life Challenges Standard Assumptions. Health Affairs 2016 Jul 1;35(7):1316-23.
- Toward Lower Costs and Better Care–Averting a Collision between Consumer- and Provider-Focused Reforms. N Engl J Med 2016 Mar 10;374(10):903-6.
- Association Between Having a Highly Educated Spouse and Physician Practice in Rural Underserved Areas. JAMA 2016 Mar 1;315(9):939-41
- Prescription Use among Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders in Northern New England: Intensity and Small Area Variation. J Pediatr 2016 Feb;169:277-83.
- Implementation Science: A Potential Catalyst for Delivery System Reform. JAMA2016;315(4):339-40.
- Comparison of Site of Death, Health Care Utilization, and Hospital Expenditures for Patients Dying With Cancer in 7 Developed Countries. JAMA 2016;315(3):272-283.
- Hospital Variation in Health Care Utilization by Children With Medical Complexity. Pediatrics 2015. Published online October 5, 2015.
- Epidemiologic Trends in Neonatal Intensive Care, 2007-2012. JAMA Pediatr 2015 Sep 1;169(9):855-62.
- Using patient-reported outcomes in routine practice: three novel use cases and implications. J Ambul Care Manage 2015 Apr-Jun;38(2):188-95.
- Choosing Wisely: Prevalence and Correlates of Low-Value Health Care Services in the United States. J Gen Intern Med 2015 Feb;30(2):221-8.
- ACO contracting with private and public payers: a baseline comparative analysis. Am J Manag Care 2014 Dec;20(12):1008-14.
- Accountable health communities: getting there from here. JAMA 2014 Nov 26;312(20):2093-4.
- Implementation of a Pilot Accountable Care Organization Payment Model and the Use of Discretionary and Nondiscretionary Cardiovascular Care. Circulation 2014 Nov 25;130(22):1954-61.
- Local population characteristics and hemoglobin A1c testing rates among diabetic Medicare beneficiaries. PLoS One 2014 Oct 31;9(10):e111119.
- Variations in the Intensive Use of Head CT for Elderly Patients with Hemorrhagic Stroke. Radiology 2014 Oct 29:141362.
- Improving outcomes for diabetic patients undergoing revascularization for critical limb ischemia: does the quality of outpatient diabetic care matter?. Ann Vasc Surg 2014 Oct;28(7):1719-28.
- Tracking Spending Among Commercially Insured Beneficiaries Using a Distributed Data Model. Am J Manag Care 2014;20(8):650-657.
- Prescription opioid use among disabled medicare beneficiaries: intensity, trends, and regional variation. Med Care 2014 Sep;52(9):852-9.
- Small Geographic Area Variations in Prescription Drug Use. Pediatrics 2014 Sep;134(3):563-70.
- Beyond PCMHs and Accountable Care Organizations: Payment Reform That Encourages Customized Care. J Gen Intern Med 2014 Oct;29(10):1325-7.
- Early primary care provider follow-up and readmission after high-risk surgery. JAMA Surg 2014 Aug;149(8):821-8.
- Health system characteristics and rates of readmission after acute myocardial infarction in the United States. J Am Heart Assoc 2014 May 20;3(3):e000714.
- A population health approach to reducing observational intensity bias in health risk adjustment: Cross sectional analysis of insurance claims. BMJ 2014;348:g2392.
- Fragmentation of Care and the Use of Head Computed Tomography in Patients With Ischemic Stroke. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 2014 May;7(3):430-6.
- Financial incentives to improve quality: skating to the puck or avoiding the penalty box?.JAMA 2014 Mar 12;311(10):1009-10.
- A systematic review of medical practice variation in OECD countries. Health Policy 2014 Jan;114(1):5-14.
- Forty years of unwarranted variation–and still counting. Health Policy 2014 Jan;114(1):1-2.
- Relationship between regional spending on vascular care and amputation rate. JAMA Surg 2014 Jan;149(1):34-42.
- Continuity of care and the risk of preventable hospitalization in older adults. JAMA Intern Med 2013 Nov 11;173(20):1879-85.
- Accountable care organizations in the United States: market and demographic factors associated with formation. Health Serv Res 2013 Dec;48(6 Pt 1):1840-58.
- Accelerating Physician Workforce Transformation Through Competitive Graduate Medical Education Funding. Health Affairs 2013 Nov;32(11):1887-92.
- Understanding of regional variation in the use of surgery. Lancet 2013 Sep 28;382(9898):1121-29.
- Growth in Medicare Expenditures for Patients With Acute Myocardial Infarction: A Comparison of 1998 Through 1999 and 2008. JAMA Intern Med 2013 Dec 9-23;173(22):2055-61.
- Physicians as part of the solution? Community-based participatory research as a way to get shared decision making into practice. J Gen Intern Med 2014 Jan;29(1):219-22.
- Accountable prescribing. N Engl J Med 2013 Jul 25;369(4):299-302.
- Association between physician supply, local practice norms, and outpatient visit rates. Med Care 2013 Jun;51(6):524-31.
- Attributing patients to accountable care organizations: performance year approach aligns stakeholders’ interests. Health Affairs 2013 Mar;32(3):587-95.
- Observational intensity bias associated with illness adjustment: cross sectional analysis of insurance claims. BMJ 2013;346:f549.
[Supplemental table] [Podcast]
- Change in End-of-Life Care for Medicare Beneficiaries Site of Death, Place of Care, and Health Care Transitions in 2000, 2005, and 2009. JAMA2013;309(5):470-477.
- Regional intensity of vascular care and lower extremity amputation rates. J Vasc Surg 2013 June;57(6):1471-80.
- Thoracic endovascular aneurysm repair, race, and volume in thoracic aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg 2013 Jan;57(1):56-63.
- Insights from transformations under way at four Brookings-Dartmouth accountable care organization pilot sites. Health Affairs 2012 Nov;31(11):2395-406.
- A Framework For Evaluating The Formation, Implementation, And Performance Of Accountable Care Organizations. Health Affairs 2012;31(11):2368-2378.
- Early discharge does not increase readmission or mortality risk after high-risk vascular surgery. J Vasc Surg 2012 Nov 13. pii: S0741-5214(12)01748-X.
- Spending Differences Associated With the Medicare Physician Group Practice Demonstration. JAMA 2012;308(10):1015-1023.
- Interpretations of integration in early accountable care organizations. Milbank Q 2012 Sep;90(3):457-83.
- Decision-Making Process Reported by Medicare Patients Who Had Coronary Artery Stenting or Surgery for Prostate Cancer. J Gen Intern Med 2012 Aug;27(8):911-6.
- The promise and peril of accountable care for vulnerable populations: a framework for overcoming obstacles. Health Affairs 2012 Aug;31(8):1777-85.
- State Spending On Dual Eligibles Under Age 65 Shows Variations, Evidence Of Cost Shifting From Medicaid To Medicare. Health Affairs 2012;31(5):939-47.
- Impact of Payment Reform on Chemotherapy at the End of Life. J Oncol Pract May 2012;8(3S):e6s-e13s.
- End-of-Life Care for Medicare Beneficiaries with Cancer is Highly Intensive Overall and Varies Widely. Health Affairs 2012 April 9;31(4):786-96.
- Association of Age, Gender, and Race with Intensity of End-of-Life Care for Medicare Beneficiaries with Cancer. J Palliat Med 2012 May;15(5):548-54.
- Association of Hospital Spending Intensity With Mortality and Readmission Rates in Ontario Hospitals. JAMA 2012;307(10):1037-45.
- Roles for specialty societies and vascular surgeons in accountable care organizations. J Vasc Surg 2012 Mar;55(3):875-82.
- Tonsillectomy: A Procedure in Search of Evidence. J Pediatr 2012 May;160(5):716-8.
- Sources of Regional Variation in Medicare Part D Drug Spending. N Engl J Med 2012 Feb;366:530-8.
- Withholds to Slow Medicare Spending: A Better Deal Than Cuts. JAMA 2012;307(1):43-44.
- Adverse Effects of Robotic-Assisted Laparoscopic Versus Open Retropubic Radical Prostatectomy Among a Nationwide Random Sample of Medicare-Age Men. J Clin Oncol 2012 Feb 10;30(5):513-8.
- Hospital quality and the cost of inpatient surgery in the United States. Ann Surg 2012 Jan;255(1):1-5.
- Growth in the Use of PET for Six Cancer Types After Coverage by Medicare: Additive or Replacement?. J Am Coll Radiol 2012 Jan;9(1):33-41.
- Variation in the use of lower extremity vascular procedures for critical limb ischemia. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 2012 Jan 1;5(1):94-102.
- Building the path to accountable care. N Engl J Med 2011 Dec 29;365(26):2445-7.
- Survival After Open Versus Endovascular Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm Repair in an Observational Study of the Medicare Population. Circulation 2011 Dec 13;124(24):2661-9.
- Large Variations In Medicare Payments For Surgery Highlight Savings Potential From Bundled Payment Programs. Health Affairs 2011 Nov;30(11):2107-15.
- New cardiac surgery programs established from 1993 to 2004 led to little increased access, substantial duplication of services. Health Affairs 2011 Aug;30(8):1569-74.
- Primary Care Physician Workforce and Medicare Beneficiaries’ Health Outcomes. JAMA 2011;305(20):2096-104.
- End-of-Life Cancer Care in Ontario and the United States: Quality by Accident or Quality by Design?. J Natl Cancer Inst (2011):doi:10.1093/jnci/djr161.
- Interprofessional Care and the Future of Nursing. J Interprof Care 2011 May;25(3):163-4.
- Fewer hospitalizations result when primary care is highly integrated into a continuing care retirement community. Health Affairs 2011 May;30(5):975-84.
- The pragmatist’s guide to comparative effectiveness research. J Econ Perspect 2011 Spring;25(2):27-46.
- Time to Tackle Unwarranted Variations in Practice. BMJ 2011;342:d1513.
- Geographic Variation in Diagnosis Frequency and Risk of Death Among Medicare Beneficiaries. JAMA 2011;305(11):1113-8.
- Small Area Variation in Endoscopic Sinus Surgery Rates among the Medicare Population. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2011 Mar;137(3):253-7.
- Seniors’ Perceptions Of Health Care Not Closely Associated With Physician Supply. Health Affairs February 2011;30(2):219-27.
- Trends and Variation in Incidence, Surgical Treatment, and Repeat Surgery of Proximal Humeral Fractures in the Elderly. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2011 Jan;93(2):121-31.
- Geographic Maldistribution of Primary Care for Children. Pediatrics 2011 Jan;127(1):19-27.
- Regional Variation in the Use of Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators for Primary Prevention: Results From the National Cardiovascular Data Registry. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 2011 Jan 1;4(1):114-21.
- Preventing Ruin, or the Ruin of United States Health Care?. J Leg Med 2011 Jan;32(1):61-76.
- Measuring Racial Disparities in the Quality of Ambulatory Diabetes Care.Med Care 2010 Dec;48(12):1057-63.
- Supply Sensitive Services in Swiss Ambulatory Care: An Analysis of Basic Health Insurance Records for 2003-2007. BMC Health Serv Res 2010 Nov 23;10:315.
- Accountable Care Organizations: Accountable for What, to Whom, and How. JAMA. 2010;304(15):1715-6.
- How The Center For Medicare And Medicaid Innovation Should Test Accountable Care Organizations. Health Affairs 2010;29(7):1293-8.
- Surgical versus Nonoperative Treatment for Lumbar Spinal Stenosis: Four-year Results of the Spine Patient Outcomes Research Trial. Spine 2010 Jun 15;35(14):1329-38.
- Race versus Place of Service in Mortality among Medicare Beneficiaries with Cancer. Cancer 2010;116(11):2698–706.
- Primary Care Physician Supply and Children’s Health Care Use, Access, and Outcomes: Findings From Canada. Pediatrics 2010;125(6):1119-26.
- Trends in Endoscopic Sinus Surgery Rates in the Medicare Population. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2010;136(5):426-30.
- Regional Variations in Diagnostic Practices. New Engl J Med 2010;363(1):45-53.
- A National Strategy To Put Accountable Care Into Practice. Health Affairs 2010;29(5):982-90.
- Higher Health Care Quality And Bigger Savings Found At Large Multispecialty Medical Groups. Health Affairs 2010;29(5):991-7.
- Variation in Prostate-Specific Antigen Screening in Men Aged 80 and Older in Fee-for-Service Medicare. J Am Geriatr Soc 2010 Apr;58(4):674-80.
- Looking Back, Moving Forward. N Engl J Med 2010 Feb;362(7):569-574.
- Prices Don’t Drive Regional Medicare Spending Variations. Health Affairs 2010;29(3):537-43.
[Technical report] [Appendix data]
- Regional Variation in Carotid Artery Stenting and Endarterectomy in the Medicare Population. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 2010;3(1):15-24.
- Relationship of Primary Care Physicians’ Patient Caseload With Measurement of Quality and Cost Performance. JAMA 2009;302(22):2444-50.
- Primary Care and Accountable Care – Two Essential Elements of Delivery-System Reform. N Engl J Med 2009 Dec;361(24):2301-3.
- The Cost of Health Care – Highlights from a Discussion about Economics and Reform. N Engl J Med 2009;361(15):1421-3.
- Influence of NCI Cancer Center Attendance on Mortality in Lung, Breast, Colorectal, and Prostate Cancer Patients. Med Care Res Rev 2009 Oct;66(5):542-60.
- Getting Past Denial – The High Cost of Health Care in the United States. N Engl J Med2009;361(13):1227-30.
- Unwarranted Variation in Pediatric Medical Care. Pediatr Clin North Am 2009 Aug;56(4):745-55.
- Hospital Quality and Intensity of Spending: Is There an Association?. Health Affairs 2009 Jul-Aug;28(4):w566-72.
- Achieving Health Care Reform – How Physicians can Help. N Engl J Med 2009;360(24):2495-7.
- Racial and Ethnic Differences in Preferences for End-of-Life Treatment. J Gen Intern Med 2009 Jun;24(6):695-701.
- Surgical Compared with Nonoperative Treatment for Lumbar Degenerative Spondylolisthesis. Four-year Results in the Spine Patient Outcomes Research Trial (SPORT) Randomized and Observational Cohorts. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2009 Jun;91(6):1295-304.
- How Much do Patients’ Preferences Contribute to Resource Use?. Health Affairs 2009 May-Jun;28(3):864-73.
- Slowing the Growth of Health Care Costs – Lessons from Regional Variation. N Engl J Med2009;360(9):849-52.
- Determinants of NCI Cancer Center Attendance in Medicare Patients with Lung, Breast, Colorectal, or Prostate Cancer. J Gen Intern Med 2009 Feb;24(2):205-10.
- Cancer Care in the United States: Identifying End-of-Life Cohorts. J Palliat Med 2009;12(2):128-32.
- Fostering Accountable Health Care: Moving Forward In Medicare. Health Affairs 2009 Feb;28(2):w219-31.
- Inpatient Care Intensity and Patients’ Ratings of their Hospital Experiences. Health Affairs 2009 Jan;28(1):103-12.
- The Elusive Connection between Health Care Spending and Quality. Health Affairs 2009 Jan-Feb;28(1):w119-23.
- Surgical versus Nonoperative Treatment for Lumbar Disc Herniation: Four-year Results for the Spine Patient Outcomes Research Trial (SPORT). Spine 2008 Dec 1;33(25):2789-800.
- Access to Cancer Services for Rural Colorectal Cancer Patients. J Rural Health 2008;24(4):390-9.
- Building a Medical Neighborhood for the Medical Home. N Engl J Med 2008;359(12):1202-5.
- Improving Accountability for the Public Investment in Health Profession Education: It’s Time to Try Health Workforce Planning. JAMA 2008;300(10):1205-7.
- Impact of Title VII Training Programs on Community Health Center Staffing and National Health Service Corps Participation. Ann Fam Med 2008 Sep-Oct;6(5):397-405.
- Comorbidity Risk-Adjustment Strategies are Comparable among Persons with Hip Fracture. J Clin Epidemiol 2008 Jun;61(6):580-7.
- An AOA Critical Issue: Future Physician Workforce Requirements: Implications for Orthopaedic Surgery Education. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2008;90:1143-59.
- Discretionary Decision-Making by Primary Care Physicians and the Cost of U.S. Health Care. Health Affairs 2008 May-Jun;27(3):813-23.
- Crossroads in Quality. Health Affairs 2008 May-Jun;27(3):749-58.
- Physician Workforce Crisis? Wrong Diagnosis, Wrong Prescription. N Engl J Med 2008;358(16):1658-61.
- Abstracts in High Profile Journals Often Fail to Report Harm. BMC Med Res Methodol 2008;8:14.
- Surgical versus Nonsurgical Therapy for Lumbar Spinal Stenosis. N Engl J Med 2008;358(8):794-810.
- Geographic Access to Cancer Care in the United States. Cancer2008;112:909-18.
- SPORT Lumbar Intervertebral Disk Herniation and Back Pain: Does Treatment, Location, or Morphology Matter?. Spine 2008 Feb;33(4):428-35.
- Variations in Hospital Resource Use for Medicare and Privately Insured Populations in California. Health Affairs 2008 Feb;27(2):w123-34.
- Changes in the Use of Carotid Revascularization among the Medicare Population. Arch Surg 2008 Feb;143(2):170-3.
- Does Having More Physicians Lead to Better Health System Performance?. JAMA 2008 Jan;299(3):335-7.
- Rates of Solid-Organ Wait-Listing, Transplantation, and Survival among Residents of Rural and Urban Areas. JAMA 2008;299(2):202-7.
- Cost-Effectiveness of Digital Mammography Breast Cancer Screening. Ann Intern Med 2008 Jan;148(1):1-10.
- Extending the P4P Agenda, Part 1: How Medicare can Improve Patient Decision Making and Reduce Unnecessary Care. Health Affairs 2007 Nov;26(6):1564-74.
- Extending the P4P Agenda, Part 2: How Medicare can Reduce Waste and Improve the Care of the Chronically Ill. Health Affairs 2007 Nov;26(6):1575-85.
- Excess Mortality Following Hip Fracture: The Role of Underlying Health Status. Osteoporos Int 2007 Nov;18(11):1463-72.
- Surgical versus Nonsurgical Treatment for Lumbar Degenerative Spondylolisthesis. N Engl J Med 2007;356(22):2257-70.
- Toward the ‘Tipping Point’: Decision Aids and Informed Patient Choice. Health Affairs 2007 May-Jun;26(3):716-25.
- Malpractice Liability Costs and the Practice of Medicine in the Medicare Program. Health Affairs 2007 May-Jun;26(3):841-52.
- Are Regional Variations in End-of-Life Care Intensity Explained by Patient Preferences? A Study of the U.S. Medicare Population. Med Care 2007 May;45(5):386-93.
- Informed Patient Choice: Patient-Centered Valuing of Surgical Risks and Benefits. Health Affairs 2007 May-Jun;26(3):726-30.
- Geographic Access to Family Planning Facilities and the Risk of Unintended and Teenage Pregnancy. Matern Child Health J 2007 Mar;11(2):145-52.
- Assigning Ambulatory Patients and their Physicians to Hospitals: A Method for Obtaining Population-Based Provider Performance Measurements. Health Serv Res 2007;42:45-62.
- Analysis of Observational Studies in the Presence of Treatment Selection Bias: Effects of Invasive Cardiac Management on AMI Survival Using Propensity Score and Instrumental Variable Methods. JAMA 2007;297:278-85.
- U.S. Trends in CABG Hospital Volume: The Effect of Adding Cardiac Surgery Programs. Health Affairs 2007 Jan-Feb;26(1):162-8.
- Creating Accountable Care Organizations: The Extended Hospital Medical Staff. Health Affairs web exclusive, 5 December 2006; 10.1377/hlthaff.26.1.w44.
- Surgical vs Nonoperative Treatment for Lumbar Disk Herniation: The Spine Patient Outcomes Research Trial (SPORT): A Randomized Trial. JAMA 2006;296:2441-50.
- Surgical vs Nonoperative Treatment for Lumbar Disk Herniation: The Spine Patient Outcomes Research Trial (SPORT) Observational Cohort. JAMA 2006;296:2451-9.
- Paying for Performance – Risks and Recommendations. N Engl J Med 2006;355(18):1845-7.
- United States’ Trends and Regional Variations in Lumbar Spine Surgery: 1992-2003. Spine 2006;31(23):2707-14.
- Veterans Health Administration Patients’ Use of the Private Sector for Coronary Revascularization in New York: Opportunities to Improve Outcomes by Directing Care to High-Performance Hospitals. Med Care 2006 Jun;44(6):519-26.
- Regional Variations in Health Care Intensity and Physician Perceptions of Quality of Care. Ann Intern Med 2006;144:641-9.
- Geographic Access to Health Care for Rural Medicare Beneficiaries. J Rural Health2006;22(2):140-6.
- End-of-Life Care at Academic Medical Centers: Implications for Future Workforce Requirements. Health Affairs 2006 Mar-Apr;25(2):521-31.
- Is Technological Change in Medicine Always Worth It? The Case of Acute Myocardial Infarction. Health Affairs web exclusive, 7 February 2006; 10.1377/hlthaff.25.w34.
- Evaluating the Efficiency of California Providers in Caring for Patients with Chronic Illness. Health Affairs web exclusive, 16 November 2005; 10.1377/hlthaff.w5.526.
[Press release] [Supplemental tables]
- Regional Variation in Rates of Low Birth Weight. Pediatrics 2005 Nov;116(5):1114-21.
- Bereaved Family Member Perceptions of Quality of End-of-Life Care in U.S. Regions with High and Low Usage of Intensive Care Unit Care. J Am Geriatr Soc 2005 Nov;53(11):1905-11.
- Mortality after Acute Myocardial Infarction in Hospitals that Disproportionately Treat Black Patients. Circulation 2005;112:2634-41.
- Variation in the Tendency of Primary Care Physicians to Intervene. Arch Intern Med 2005;165:2252-6.
- Racial Trends in the Use of Major Procedures among the Elderly. N Engl J Med2005;353(7):683-91.
- Where do Graduating Pediatric Residents Seek Practice Positions?. Ambul Pediatr 2005 Jul-Aug;5(4):228-34.
- The Pediatrician Workforce: Current Status and Future Prospects. Pediatrics2005 Jul;116(1):e156-73.
- Postmarketing Surveillance of Medical Devices Using Medicare Claims. Health Affairs 2005 Jul-Aug;24(4):928-37.
- The Physician Workforce Crisis: Where is the Evidence?. Health Affairs web exclusive, 15 March 2005; 10.1377/hlthaff.w5.108.
- Geographic Variation and the Problem of Measuring Racial Disparities in Health Care.Perspectives in Biology and Medicine 48.1 (2005) S42-53.
- Use of Medicare Claims Data to Monitor Provider-Specific Performance among Patients with Severe Chronic Illness. Health Affairs web exclusive, 7 Oct 2004; 10.1377/hlthaff.var.5.
- Variations in the Longitudinal Efficiency of Academic Medical Centers. Health Affairs web exclusive, 7 Oct 2004; 10.1377/hlthaff.var.19.
- Trends: Twenty-Year Trends in Regional Variations in the U.S. Physician Workforce. Health Affairs web exclusive, 7 Oct 2004; 10.1377/hlthaff.var.90.
- Practice Variations and Health Care Reform: Connecting the Dots. Health Affairs web exclusive, 7 Oct 2004; 10.1377/hlthaff.var.140.
- Who You Are and Where You Live: How Race and Geography Affect the Treatment of Medicare Beneficiaries. Health Affairs web exclusive, 7 Oct 2004; 10.1377/hlthaff.var.33.
- Trends and Geographic Variations in Major Surgery for Degenerative Diseases of the Hip, Knee, and Spine. Health Affairs web exclusive, 7 Oct 2004; 10.1377/hlthaff.var.81.
- Unwarranted Variations in the Quality of Health Care: Can the Law Help Medicine Provide a Remedy/Remedies?. Spec Law Dig Health Care Law 2004 Sep;(305):9-25.
- Use of Hospitals, Physician Visits, and Hospice Care during Last Six Months of Life among Cohorts Loyal to Highly Respected Hospitals in the United States. BMJ 2004;328:607-10.
- Addressing Variations: Is There Hope for the Future?. Health Affairs web exclusive, 10 December 2003; 10.1377/hlthaff.w3.614.
- Standard Consultations are Not Enough to Ensure Decision Quality regarding Preference-Sensitive Options. JNCI 2003;95(8):570-1.
- The Implications of Regional Variations in Medicare Spending. Part 2: Health Outcomes and Satisfaction with Care. Ann Intern Med 2003;138(4):288-98.
- The Implications of Regional Variations in Medicare Spending. Part 1: The Content, Quality, and Accessibility of Care. Ann Intern Med 2003;138(4):273-87.
- Primary Care Service Areas: A New Tool for the Evaluation of Primary Care Services. Health Serv Res 2003 Feb;38:287-309.
- Health Care Quality, Geographic Variations, and the Challenge of Supply-Sensitive Care. Perspectives in Biology and Medicine 46.1 (2003) 69-79.
- Unwarranted Variations in Healthcare Delivery: Implications for Academic Medical Centres. BMJ 2002;325:961-4.
- Finding High Quality, Efficient Providers for Value Purchasing: Cohort Methods Better than Methods Based on Events. Med Care 2002 Oct;40(10):853-5.
- Will Volume-Based Referral Strategies Reduce Costs or Just Save Lives?. Health Affairs2002 Sep-Oct;21(5):234-41.
- Geography and the Debate over Medicare Reform. Health Affairs web exclusive, 13 February 2002; 10.1377/hlthaff.w2.96.
- Area Differences in Utilization of Medical Care and Mortality Among U.S. Elderly. NBER Working Paper No. 8628, December 2001.
- The Uneven Landscape of Newborn Intensive Care Services: Variation in the Neonatology Workforce. Eff Clin Pract July/August 2001.
- The Efficiency of Medicare. NBER Working Paper No. 8395, July 2001.
- Shared Decision-Making and the Orthopaedic Workforce. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2001 Apr;(385):68-75.
- Federal Medicare Transfers Across States: Winners and Losers. National Tax Journal 2000;53(3):713-31.
- Avoiding the Unintended Consequences of Growth in Medical Care: How Might More be Worse?. JAMA1999;281(5):446-53.
- How Much is Enough? Efficiency and Medicare Spending in the Last Six Months of Life. NBER Working Paper No. 6513, April 1998.
- Dealing with Medical Practice Variations: A Proposal for Action (excerpt). Health Affairs 1984;3(2):6-32.
- A Test of Consumer Contribution to Small Area Variations in Health Care Delivery. J Maine Medical Assoc 1977;68(8);275-9.
- Health Care Delivery in Maine III: Evaluating the Level of Hospital Performance. J Maine Medical Assoc 1975;66(11);298-306.
- Health Care Delivery in Maine II: Conditions Explaining Hospital Admission. J Maine Medical Assoc 1975;66(10):255-61, 269.
- Health Care Delivery in Maine I: Patterns of Use of Common Surgical Procedures. J Maine Medical Assoc 1975;66(5):123-30, 149.